I’ve had people [read: men] explain away men harassing me by saying “well you’re a pretty girl” as if that’s a valid excuse. So here I’m going to list some examples of harassment I’ve experienced in the last month alone:
- bumped into a middle-aged man coming around a corner. Instead of side-stepping me he wrapped his arms around me, held me like that for a moment and laughed before releasing me and walking away.
- stared at, looked up and down every time I leave my apartment (it’s still well below freezing, mind, and I’m completely covered up).
- been called a “good little girl” by old men (yes, multiple, on several occasions) at work.
- had multiple men tell me I shouldn’t cut my long hair because “men don’t like short hair” and tell me they would personally be upset if I cut my hair.
- had a co-worker hug me even though I’ve told him that I don’t like to be touched, squeeze my shoulders, put his arm around me etc.
now read that list back and pretend those things were said and done to a man. Creepy, huh? But it’s okay ‘cos I’m a pretty young woman? (also fuck that hair thing- I’ve actually considered cutting it just so I won’t get as much attention. And they’d be upset? It’s my fucking hair. I don’t even like having short hair but hey, maybe it would be worth it.)